Friday, May 25, 2012

Shelter by Harlan Coben


SHELTER by HARLAN COBEN


Movie Rating: PG-13 for language and drug use
Book Rating: @@@@
Swearing: little uses of h*** and maybe d***
Inappropriate Scenes: None
# of Pages: 304 (hardcover)
Genre: YA thriller
Publisher: G. P. Putnam's Sons
LLFTB: sometimes people who are shunned by society because they don't fit in can help you the most

Back Blurb:

   Mickey Bolitar's year can't get much worse. After witnessing his father's death and sending his mom to rehab, he's forced to live with his estranged uncle Myron and switch high schools. 
   A new school comes with new friends and new enemies, and lucky for Mickey, it also comes with a great new girlfriend, Ashley. For a while, it seems like Mickey's train wreck of a life is finally improving--until Ashley vanishes without a trace. Unwilling to let another person walk out of his life, Mickey follows Ashley's trail into a seedy underworld, that reveals that this seemingly sweet, shy girl isn't who she claimed to be. And neither was Mickey's father. Soon, Mickey learns about a conspiracy so shocking that it makes high school drama seem like a luxury--and leaves him questioning everything about the life he thought he knew.

My Review:

   Cool Book! Thoroughly enjoyed this book. However the reason that I gave it only 4 stars and not 5 was because the last few chapters just seem to repeat themselves, and I don't remember much of them at all.      Also, it got a little weird and hard to understand at the end. Mickey was a really cool character. And so was Ema/Emma. But the character who took the spotlight was Spoon. Maybe because of all the characters he was most like me: nerdy, smart-mouth, and spouting off random facts that no one wants to hear. Yep, Spoon was my favorite. I didn't really care for Rachel she seemed like a jerk. But maybe I just didn't understand her. Shelter is a well-written fast-paced novel that will keep you reading until the wee hours of the morning! Definitely check this book out! : )



2 comments:

  1. hmmm...I hadn't heard of this before but after reading white cat from holly black, I'm willing to give another ya book from a male POV a chance. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked this book but not as much as I hoped to. I love the author's adult books so I hoped for more but I had some of the same problems you did. I do want to see where the series goes so I plan to read the next one and hope the kinks get ironed out.

    I see you're reading Lockdown. That was so creepy and so good! I just finished the second book and am waiting for #3. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for you comment! :D

Favorite Series