Thursday, June 14, 2012

Struck by Jennifer Bosworth::Review


STRUCK by JENNIFER BOSWORTH



Movie Rating: PG-17 for violence and sexuality
Book Rating: @
Swearing: only a couple of uses of a**
Inappropriate Scenes: 2 teens 'mess around' at least twice. The author doesn't go into detail but for those with active imaginations....
# of Pages: 373 (hardcover)
Genre: YA Dystopian/Thriller (?)
Publisher: Farrar Straus Giroux
LLFTB: Don't read a novel written by Jennifer Bosworth

Back Blurb:

   Mia Price is a lightning addict. She’s survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her. Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is
transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.
   Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn’t who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.

My name is Mia Price and I am a LIGHTNING ADDICT. I want lightning to find me. I crave it like lungs CRAVE OXYGEN. Nothing makes you feel more alive
than being STRUCK.

My Review:

To shake things up I'm going to write my review letter-style:

Dear Ms. Jennifer Bosworth,
   Since you have offended me by the content of your book (your blasphemy against the Most High God and the smut you put in your book) I wish to return the favor (or lack thereof). STRUCK--the book that SUCKED. Now, I realize that you're rather new to the writing world so let me give you some tips...
   You don't have to put sex scenes in your novel to sell more copies. If your novel is worthy of recognition it will get recognition. However, I do appreciate the swearing that you kept to a minimum. I wasn't expecting that. And, furthermore, you offended me just about every time you used God's name (which was close to every page) and I'm pretty sure you compared unbelievers to 'pigeon poop'. That would and should offend every unbeliever.
  Here's what I expected to STRUCK: I expected to learn about a girl getting struck by lightning and using it to do whatever. I did not expect there to be blasphemy and smut on every page!
  You've made an impression Jennifer. An impression that is not a good one. And I agree with you, "There's a lot of moral depravity in Los Angeles.", unfortunately, though, you also live in L.A. I only hope that you receive Jesus Christ as your Saviour before you too burn in the pits of hell forever.
                                A disappointed reader,
                                                The Maniacal Bookworm


*Want to know which teen books are clean to read? Follow my blog! I'll tell you in my reviews or if you don't want to wait just ask me: themaniacalbookworm at gmail dot com*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for you comment! :D

Favorite Series