Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Super Spies and the Cat Lady Killer by Lisa Orchard::Review


THE SUPER SPIES AND THE CAT LADY KILLER by LISA ORCHARD

Movie Rating: PG
Book Rating: @@@@
Swearing: None
Inappropriate Scenes: None
# of Pages: 237 (paperback)
Genre: YA Mystery
Publisher: Astraea Press

Back Blurb:

In a small town in Michigan, fifteen-year-old Sarah Cole is stuck spending the summer at her Aunt and Uncle's with her sister, Lacey. She's not happy with the situation until she befriends a girl names Jackie. The three girls stumble upon the ruthless murder of a reclusive neighborhood woman and what's worse? One of the officers investigating the crime believes the girls are responsible for her death.
Fearing that this officer will frame them for the murder, the girls organize their own detective squad. They become the Super Spies and start their own investigation. The Super Spies can't understand why anyone would want to murder the "Cat Lady" until they start digging into her past and discover a horrible crime that happened thirty years ago. They uncover a connection between the two crimes and sttempt to bring this information to the police, only o be reprimanded for meddling in the investigation. Not only are the girls upset by the admonition, but they also struggle with the fact that their exuberant investigating could provide a legal loophole allowing the killer to go free. Frustrated by this turn of events, the Super Spies realize it's up to them to snare the Cat Lady killer.
Or die trying...

My Review:

Ever wondered what a more modern Nancy Drew would be like? If you have then you should probably pick up this book. Growing up, I loved the Nancy Drew books, but I haven't read any in a while (too many other books to review and too little time to do it. lol) so when I picked this up it was like reading a modern day Nancy Drew. And I loved it! It was like a flashback to my younger days (yeah, I'm so old...) when I would curl up with a good ole' mystery novel and help the main character solve a mystery.
Written almost but not quite, like a Nancy Drew book, The Super Spies and the Cat Lady Killer is a book that will keep flipping furiously through all two hundred and thirty-seven pages.
All the characters were lovable and not the least bit annoying. YAY for having no annoying characters. :) And it was so nice to read about 3 teenage girls that weren't just like the rest of the crowd. It gave them a sense of uniqueness, and added to their lovableness (I don't think that's word but I hope you know what I mean.)
I also liked that the girls were punished for disrupting the crime scene. Because (here come the rant) for goodness sake, I get so sick and tired of all the books where the main characters break the law and get away with it because they were breaking the law for the greater good or w.h.a.t.e.v.e.r. Blah. Excuse me while I go gag. *gag* Okay, now that I'm done with that...if you're still reading this and haven't exited the page because I totally grossed you with my gagging then I hope you'll finish reading my review. Except that most of you haven't bothered reading this far into my review have you? because if you had read this far into my review you would be buying your copy off of Amazon.com right now, if only because you want to rid yourself of the boring monotony of reading about yet a character that breaks the law and gets away with it scot free, but I prefer to hope that you buy this book not only because the main characters are punished but because my review left you desperately and irrationally craving for the story of the Super Spies. (if you had read this far into my reveiw you would have noticed that I spelled the previous review wrong and would tell me about it in the comments box at the bottom of the page.)
Definitely a GREAT read! Ms. Orchard, I loved your book and cannot wait to read the next one! Keep calm and read on! :D

Recommend to lovers of: Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and the 3 Investigators.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to read my story and give me such an awesome review! I appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Thank you for wanting me to review your book! I <3ed it. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for you comment! :D

Favorite Series