Saturday, April 20, 2013

Dust Lands: Blood Red Road by Moira Young--Review



DUST LANDS: BLOOD RED ROAD by MOIRA YOUNG

Movie Rating: PG-13 for blood, gore, and brief strong language
Book Rating: @@@@
Swearing: there were multiple uses of H**l and D**n, and about 10 uses of G**d**n
Inappropriate Scenes: a guy walks in on 2 girls bathing
# of pages: 459 (paperback)
Genre: YA Dystopian
Publisher: McElderry Books

Back Blurb:

TO ESCAPE, SHE WILL HAVE TO FIGHT.
TO SURVIVE, SHE WILL HAVE TO LEAD.

Saba’s world is shattered when her twin brother, Lugh, is captured by four cloaked horsemen. Determined to rescue him, Saba sets off into the lawless, wasted landscape left behind by the Wreckers. It’s a brutal world where Saba discovers some surprising things about herself: She’s a fierce fighter, a cunning opponent, and above all, an unbeatable survivor. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl warriors called the Free Hawks, Saba is off to save her brother—and maybe her whole world.

My Review:
             I was reading on GoodReads how, Blood Red Road is the next Hunger Games (it even says so on the book’s cover), and I was like, “I  have got to read this book!” So after multiple times of futilely begging my library to getting the book, I decided to buy my own copy. I mean, after all, what was I out? 7 bucks. And while this book was very good, it’s not the next Hunger Games.
This book would have gotten 5 stars but two things in this book really irked me: (1) the multipple uses gd’s (see ‘swearing’ above) and (2) no quotation marks!! I personally find the gd’s offensive. Now, surprisingly, the lack of quotation marks didn’t make it that hard to read, but I did find myself having to read back to see who exactly was talking. So it was a little annoying. Oh! And for goodness sakes, did the author have to name a main character Jack?!?!? I kept picturing Jack Sparrow every time him and Saba were talking. (Lol)
Love Saba, she’s so awesome. I love it when a book doesn’t go exactly the way the reader has it planned and the main character has to make a tough decision. It just gives me goose bumps and makes me want to read more! And I never thought I would say this but, where Katniss is kick-butt and defiant, Saba is more so. I love a kick-butt character with a sentimental streak. I cannot wait to get the second book in the series.
Recommend Blood Red Road to lovers of: The Hunger Games and/ or Divergent

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for you comment! :D

Favorite Series