Friday, June 29, 2012

The Midnighters Series by Scott Westerfield

MIDNIGHTERS (BOOKS #1-3) by SCOTT WESTERFIELD



Movie Rating: PG-13 for sequences of peril, frightening images, and language
Series Rating: @@@
Swearing: lots of little swear words and a few bigger ones
Inappropriate Scenes: None
Genre: YA Paranormal (?)
Publisher: eos (imprint of Harper Collins)

Back Blurb:

Nobody is safe in the secret hour.
Strange things happen at midnight in the town of Bixby, Oklahoma.
Time freezes.
Nobody moves.
For one secret hour each night, the town belongs to the dark creatures that haunt the shadows. Only a small group of people know about the secret hour -- only they are free to move about the midnight time.
These people call themselves Midnighters. Each one has a different power that is strongest at midnight: Seer, Mindcaster, Acrobat, Polymath. For years the Midnighters and the dark creatures have shared the secret hour, uneasily avoiding one another. All that changes when the new girl with an unmistakable midnight aura appears at Bixby High School.
Jessica Day is not an outsider like the other Midnighters. She acts perfectly normal in every way. But it soon becomes clear that the dark creatures sense a hidden power in Jessica . . . and they're determined to stop her before she can use it.

My Review:

This is my first time reviewing a whole series at once. So just for the future: If I love a series I'll review each book separately (unless of course it's like Maximum Ride). But I didn't really love this series. As you can see my avg. rating is 3 out of 5. I wasn't really enthusiastic about finishing them, but I did. : ) Um, overall the plot was confusing at first. And I still have some questions that aren't answered.... I really liked how little swearing there was in Book 1 but good things just don't last. The swearing got worse in Book 2. : (

My favorite character was Dess. She gave me a love for math. She made it sound so easy and showed me that math has patterns, you just have to find them. Yep, the polymath was my favorite! Jonathan's and Jessica's love interest just seemed forced. Like Mr. Westerfield thought that he would sell more books if he had romance in it so he squeezed some in here and there. Melissa was interesting. And Rex was Rex. The know-it-all. Because, face it, every book needs a know-it-all. 

The ending of the series was really sad. And I understand that if it had ended happy it wouldn't have been believable, but still. And I feel sorry for Dess, because doesn't she need a love interest too?!? I mean, come on. (SPOILER!!!) Melissa had Rex. Jonthan had Jessica. Where's Dess?

So, all I really have to say on this series, is I'm neutral (hence, the 3 stars). It wasn't the best series, but it wasn't the worst either. So use your own judgement. If you like this sort of thing and enjoyed Scott Westerfield's previous books, try this series. But if you really want to read a Westerfield series try Uglies first! 

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for you comment! :D

Favorite Series